Friday, October 27, 2017

Not Guilty!

A dear friend recently told me, "I haven't been to church in three weeks.  I feel so guilty." There were definitely legitimate reasons, on her part, for being unable to attend. 

Just a day later I had the opportunity to visit with my friend and share my heart with her. How she had spoken, and the repentant tone of her voice spoke to me so that I lifted her and her family in prayer and I decided to review what God's word communicated to us about that sort of "guilt". 

The dictionary defines 'guilty' as culpable of or responsible for a specified wrongdoing" while the opposite is true of 'not guilty' defined as innocent, especially of a formal charge".  Hmmmm. . .it just doesn't seem that either of these definitions fit. Now, please, don't misunderstand, there should be healthy guilt for willfully doing wrong, but being unable to attend church did not fit the category and I felt it this was a trick to discourage my friend and cause a battle to be waged in her mind.

In the Old Testament, while the children of Israel were wandering in the desert, God dwelt among His people through a physical manifestation (cloud) within the Tabernacle in the holy of holies.  While the Levite priests ministered to the people daily as they poured into the outer courts of the temple bringing sacrifices for burnt offerings, they were commanded to do so by the Law.

The High Priest was the only one who could actually enter into the presence of God behind the veil into the holy of holies, one day each year on the Day of Atonement.  When the blast of the shofar (a type of trumpet) was heard throughout the camp, the people of Israel knew they must assemble.

Forward, several hundred years. . .Jesus, the Son and embodiment of God Himself, came to earth as a baby.  Most of the Jews anticipating the arrival of the Messiah missed his birth "assuming" that God would send a zealot warrior to free Israel from Roman captivity and set up His earthly kingdom and that the Messiah's followers would automatically crush Roman rule. They missed His birth because they did not expect a baby, one who came to set up a kingdom of love in men's hearts.

After Jesus' earthly ministry was complete, He told his friends that when He went away, He would not leave them without comfort.  In fact, the word Jesus used, translated from the Greek, "παρακλητος" signifies not only a comforter but also an advocate, a defender of a cause, a counselor, patron and a mediator!

Jesus declared that He had come to fulfill the law and no one, not one of us, nor ANY before us except Christ, are perfect.  Only someone perfect could fulfill the law of God, because the LAW was perfect.  Now, if we, as believers, were still bound by the law (Romans 7) we would have reason to feel guilt and because Satan knows God's law as it is written, he uses that law to taunt us and look out - there it is:  GUILT!  Jesus did go to the temple. He did teach in the temple, but the majority of His earthly ministry was spent with his friends and among the multitudes to whom He ministered.

Am I saying that you should not attend church? A fellowship? Groups?  If that's all you take from this blog, then you miss the ultimate points.  Any other believer who reads this may attack saying, "what about Paul's writing in the Hebrews 10:22-25 (MSG)? "So let’s do it—full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching."  Do you really believe you have to be within the four walls of an organized church to worship?  To "spur each other on" to live for Christ?

Romans 8:1-2, 9 (ESV) clear tells us the answer to those feelings of guilt that the enemy of our soul, the Antagonist, tries to press upon us: "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. . .You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you."

Now, God's Word became flesh and lived among us in the man, Christ Jesus (John 1). When He came to set up His kingdom of love in my heart, the Holy Spirit "took His place" and lives within me! (John 14)  Hence, I am "in Christ Jesus" and He is in me. His amazing grace is all sufficient. ( “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9) Thus, I need not "feel guilty" because I missed church, or stumble in some other way.   

When the enemy of my soul tries to steal my joy, and speaks negative thoughts to my mind and spirit, I remind him of Paul's words in Romans 8:1-2 and particularly v. 9 because I know the spirit of God dwells within me.  I am a "temple" (I Corinthians 6:19) in which His Spirit may dwell and because of that fact, I can worship, I can serve, and I can certainly praise God no matter where I am or what I am doing.

I have no guilt.  The verdict is in. The Supreme Judge has spoken. "Not guilty!"  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:31-32, 36 ESV)

#freedom #notGuilty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grasshoppers and Giants

GRASSHOPPERS AND GIANTS In May 1972, I was preparing to begin a new chapter in my life as I was graduating from Bible College and prepari...